Scriptures Ex 24:3-8, Heb 9:11-15, Mk 14:12-16, 22-26
A Chicken Soup for the Soul: Stories for a Better World (2003) Story
- Meeting of Israeli and Palestinian women at conference in Oslo, Norway
- Discussion on loss and what might be gained if the two peoples lived well together
- Women went for coffee and talked until after midnight
- Older Israeli woman walked young Palestinian woman back to her hotel
- Younger woman didn’t want older Israeli woman to go back alone – she walked her half the way to her hotel
- Palestinian woman confused: “I don’t know what to do now that my enemy is my friend.”
- Airport in Tel Aviv – Israeli women whisked through customs and baggage claim – Palestinian women detained – Israeli woman waited until Palestinian women released
- The “way of peace” means connecting with those we fear, hate, etc.-leaving no one behind
This True Story and the Feast of the Holy Body and Blood of Christ
- Synod Question: When I receive Jesus in the Eucharist, am I aware that I am receiving Jesus in charity all of my brothers and sisters?
- That is our powerful question as we celebrate this Feast
What is Transformed at Mass
- If all that is transformed into the Body and Blood of Christ at Mass is the bread and wine – we are missing an important piece of the equation of the Eucharist
- When hearts are open, we receive the Risen Lord, really, completely
- Flannery O’Conner “If it is just a symbol, to heck with it.”
- Seventy percent of Catholics do not believe in the real presence of Risen Lord in Eucharist
- Is it so the Creator cannot give us the miracle of the Risen Jesus? How can this be?
- Saint Augustine – when we receive Jesus we become Jesus
- Are you and I becoming Jesus?
- “Eucharist…the fullness of Sacramental life…is not a prize for the perfect but a powerful medicine and nourishment for the week.” (Joy of the Gospel, 47)
- None of us our worthy and we all need Jesus
In the End
- We are all welcomed to the Lord’s table – no one should be excluded
- What a slippery slope that would become if we were judges
- None of us are worthy, we all need Jesus
- Healed and strengthened, my heart can expand
- Can we see and hear Jesus in each other?
- How beautiful if the Eucharist became our “way of peace” together!
Questions for Reflection
- What impacted you from today’s Readings and/or homily?
- How do you understand that the Eucharist is a gift for all?
- Have you ever felt transformed in any way when you received Jesus?
- Have you ever experienced the Eucharist as “a way of peace?” When what was that like for you?
- This week be intentional about acknowledging the Risen Lord in you and finding a simple way to express your “way of peace.”