November 7 Homily Connect
Scripture: 1Kgs 17:10-16 Heb 9:24-28 Mk 12:38-44
Thomas Lane Butt’s Story
- Five people froze to death around a campfire on bitter cold nigh
- Each had a stick to contribute to the fire but refused for their own reason
- A woman would not share stick because of an African American in the circle
- A homeless man would not share because there was a rich man in the circle
- A rich man would not share because someone in the circle was obviously shiftless/lazy
- The African American who not share to punish all the white people in the circle
- The fire went out
Why They Died
- Not only died from the outside cold but also the cold within
- From their pride and prejudice,
- From lack of trust in each other, their God and humanity
How About Us?
- What are the walls of pride and prejudice that we need to break down?
- What do we need to build trust with fellow humans or trust in God?
The Book Kings – The Widow
- She put her trust in Elijah, a stranger
- She showed hospitality with a cup of water
- She baked a cake as asked trusting what the Lord spoke to Elijah
- The jar of flour and jug of oil never went dry
- Because of God’s generosity, the ate without worry
What About Us
- We are to live our vocation to trust and serve God with a humble and generous heart
- Are we a trusting, giving and hospitable people?
- When we came to church today, did we greet someone we did not know-make them feel welcome?
The Gospel – Another Widow
- She put everything she had in the temple treasure-her whole livelihood
- She trusted totally in the Lord
To Be Like Jesus – Live Like Jesus We Need To:
- Trust – is an essential component to living like Jesus
- If we cannot trust in ourselves, others or God we can live in isolation, run in fear
- Be Present –to others to care for and walk with through joys, pains, struggle
- Be Merciful – show companion an empathy to others
- Be Grateful – for everything God has given us
Gathered Around the Alter In Gratitude
- We give thanks and praise to our God for the gift of Jesus
- For the gift of the Eucharist
- The gifts we all have because of God’s generosity
Let Us Pray
- That we see people as people-as a brother or sister
- To not sit around a campfire and die from within still holding on to our sticks
As We Begin A New Liturgical Year in Three Weeks
- Let it be our goal to become like Jesus and to live like Jesus
Questions for Reflection
- What impacted you from the readings/homily?
- What causes you to hold your generosity back?
- Which of the following qualities of Jesus are the easiest and most difficult: Trust, Gratitude, Mercy or Presence? Why?
- Are you planning on setting any goals for Advent?
Live Connected: Take one of the qualities of Jesus and pray for guidance in growing stronger in that quality, this week.