Scripture: 2Kgs 4:42-44 Eph 4:1-6 Jn 6:1-15
- Is resource for Sunday Mass readings – based on a three year cycle
- Cycle A is dedicated to Matthew, Cycle B to Mark, Cycle C to Luke
- The Gospel of John is interspersed into the other three cycles during special times
- We are currently in Cycle B-Mark which was the first and is the shortest of the Gospels
- In the next five weeks, the Lectionary places us in the Gospel of John.
Homily Series – Just Do This?
- Your question – Just do what?
- At the Last Supper Jesus says – Do this in memory of me.
- What is this? Taking the bread and wine and blessing it – Yes! It’s the Lord’s lavish love!
- This could also be The way Jesus lived his life
- Both will be explored in this homily series
Fr. Greg Boyle and Lavish Love
- Jesuit Priest – founder of Homeboy Industries in Los Angeles
- Worked with young people in gangs – addicted – imprisoned for trafficking drugs
- Fr. Greg adores Jesus whose face is Mercy
- His love for others is lavish, inclusive, without judgement
Fr. Greg’s Homeboy’s Story
- He was out with a few of his homeboys Jermaine and Juan giving witness talks
- He gave each of them money to bring a gift home – went to Build a Bear
- Juan’s Bear-when paw pressed said, “I love ya with all my heart, baby! Come here, give me a kiss.”
- Going through the TSA machine, everyone heard, “I love ya with all my heart!
- As he put it in the overhead compartment everyone heard, “Come here…give me a kiss!”
The Lord Loves Us Lavishly
- Does not measure out love with an eyedropper
- Wants only abundant joy for us
- That is the point of the story of the Multiplication of the Loaves and Fishes
- There are lavish leftovers – not about scarcity
FR. G. SAYS, “When you have more than you need, you build a longer table rather than a higher wall.”
Just Do This!
- Let us love like Jesus loved!
- Let us see Jesus in the faces of those around us- especially in the faces of those who do not feel loved but rather judged and condemned!
Questions for Reflection
- What impacted you from today’s Readings and/or homily?
- How have you felt God’s lavish love in your life? Name ways’ others have loved you lavishly?
- Consider ways you have been able to love others in a lavish way. What was that like for you? What were the fruits of that love?
Consider having a “Love like Jesus Day” where you are intentional about Just Doing This!