Third Sunday of Advent, December 13, 2020
IS 61:1-2A, 10-11 1Thes 5:16-24, JN1:6-8, 19-28
And this is the testimony of John. When the Jews from Jerusalem sent priest sand Levites to him to ask him, “Who are you?” He admitted and did not deny it, but admitted, “I am not the Christ.”
A Story of Darkness and Light-An American Suburb
- From Fleming Rutledge Advent: The Once and Future Coming of Jesus Christ
- The cul-de-sac, the Christmas lights, the menorah and the crime
- A neighborhood act of love, solidarity and light
Beautiful Story-This is Advent
- About the power of light
- About the agency of people in causing the Kingdom of God to break into our weary and sinful world
- We are bearers of the Lord’s light in a world to dark for our liking
In Our Catholic Tradition
- Light always stands for Jesus
- The light of the Easter Candle
- The light of the baptismal candle
John the Baptist-Who Are You?
- Religious leaders pushed him
- Made it perfectly clear that he was not the light
The Mirror and John the Baptist
- A mirror reflects the light that comes from outside itself
- Otherwise it is in darkness
- Like John, you and I are not the light
- The light is always Jesus
Sometimes We Fool Ourselves
- We think it is all about us
- We block Jesus’ light by our stubbornness, righteousness or selfishness
- We think we are the only ones who can fix a problem
Fr. Bill’s Lesson-It’s Easier
- To go with the flow
- To let the Spirit flow through me
- To let some things just be
- I need to get out of His way so His light can be reflected through me
John the Baptist was a Pointer
- Did anyone tell him it was impolite to point?
- Monday Dec. 21st is the winter solstice
- Watch for the light of the Christmas star
Jesu needs us to point to Him and His Light. He alone matters!
Questions for Reflection
- What impacted you from today’s Gospel and/or homily?
- What encounter with the Light do you need the most this Advent?
- How have you experienced the Light in a new way this Advent?
- How is it easy or difficult to reflect the Light this Advent?
Spend some time reflecting on how you can step aside so the Light can shine more brightly through you then practice!