Homily Connect: May 24
Ascension of the Lord-Sunday May 24, 2020
ACTS 1:1-11 | EPH 1:17-23 | MT 28:16-20
While meeting with them, he enjoined them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for “the promise of the Father about which you have heard me speak; for John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.”…When he had said this and they looked on, he was lifted up, and a cloud took him out of their sight.
This Time of Disorder
- We have been forced to let go of much
The Ascension Was a Time of Letting Go
- He cautioned Mary Magdalene and the Apostles not to hold on to him
- He would return to His Father but come to and remain with them in a new way
- Letting go of Jesus would insure the power of his Spirit of Love would arrive
The Nine Days Were a Disordered Time
- Mary Magdalene and the Apostles were once again thrown into a time of uncertainty
- Something new and amazing was about to come
What Lies Beneath the Disorder?
- There is goodness that comes from adjustments and accommodations
- We are being reacquainted with common wonders and simple pleasures
- We are an adaptable and ingenious species
How Has the Pandemic Affected Our Interior Life?
- Are we being called to let go of anger, prejudice, discrimination, quickness to judge or lack of forgiveness
Preparing Our Hearts for Something New
- Letting go so the Holy Spirit Can pour something new into our hearts
- Reorder follows disorder
- There is always a reason for hope!
Questions for Reflection
- What impacted you from today’s Readings and/or homily?
- What do you think it was like for Jesus’ friends when they saw him leave?
- What is the most difficult way your world has been disordered by the pandemic?
- What is something new that has been created in your life due to the pandemic?
- What would you like to let go of in your interior life to prepare for something new this Pentecost?
- Pray to the Holy Spirit to reorder our world in a way to bring us closer to the Kingdom.
- Be aware of each day and make a list of the new things the Holy Spirit is doing in your