Homily Connect: May 17
Sixth Sunday of Easter-Sunday May 17, 2020
ACTS 8:5-8 | 1PT 3:15-18 | JN 14:15-21
Jesus said to his disciples: “If you love me you will keep my commandments. And I will ask the Father and he will give you another Advocate to be with you always, the Spirit of Truth, whom the world cannot accept, because it neither sees him nor knows him.
The Holy Season of Easter is Winding Down
- Thursday marks fortieth of fifty day season
- Friday begins Novena to the Holy Spirit- Nine day period of prayer that ends on the vigil of Pentecost
- We pray the Holy Spirits power/grace is unleashed in our hearts and in the heart of the world
The Surprising Promise of Jesus at the Last Supper
- He promises to remain with and live in them and in us
- He’s there in the Holy Spirit, the Advocate, The Spirit of Truth
What Characteristics of the Holy Spirit do We Need in Our Time?
What the Doris Kearn Goodwin’s Lecture of Four Guys Said about the Holy Spirit
- Abraham Lincoln, Theodore Roosevelt, Franklin Roosevelt, Lyndon Johnson
- Leadership is elusive…One size does not fit all…Holy Spirit fills us in different ways
- Differences enhance…Unity never demands conformity…Celebrates diversity
Like the Holy Spirit, the Four Presidents Were:
- Empathetic…Empathy is Compassion…Empathy is a gift of the Holy Spirit
- Resilient/Persevering…Spirit always doing something new…Status quo a no-no…Spirit
stretches and challenges us…Resilience/Perseverance are gifts of the Holy Spirit
- Communicators…patient for the Holy Spirit to give the words to share
- Open…Listening to others with different views
- Self-Controlled…Sometimes it best to hold our tongue…Self-Control is a gift of the Holy Spirit
- Able to Relax…ease, playfulness, humor, freedom…Pope Francis…Relaxation is a gift of the Holy Spirit
During the Novena to the Holy Spirit, What will be Your Prayer?
Questions for Reflection
- What impacted you from today’s Gospel and/or homily?
- Rate your belief (1-10) in the presence and power of the Holy Spirit in our world.
- Which of the characteristics speaks most powerfully to your heart at this time?
- What characteristics do you think our country is in need of at this time?
- Commit to making the Novena asking the Holy Spirit to come into your life and into our world