Third Sunday of Ordinary Time
IS 8:23-9:3 1 | COR 1: 10-13 | MT 4:12–23
- How do you fell about using your Bible on a regular basis?
- Do you look at the daily readings?
- Can you describe moments in your life when you felt you were living in darkness? Did someone bring the great light that is Jesus to you in that moment?
- Is there a particular Scripture passage that gives you encouragement when you have moments of darkness?
- Can you describe moments in your life when “anguish has taken wing”?
- Have you ever felt the light of God’s love through a friendship or relationship with another person?
- Have you ever been the reflection of God’s for another after being inspired by the Word of God?
Join The Conversation
You’re invited to discuss this message with a small group at one of our Homily Connect Groups. Sign up here.
Deacon’s Last Homily
The Mass through different lenses: Discover Jesus first through his mercy and forgiveness, and then through the inspired Word of God
Pope has designated the Third Sunday in Ordinary Time (this Sunday) as Sunday of the Word of God as a means to enlighten and help us deepen our love for the Bible and Scripture Rationale: Francis wants to “stimulate all Christians not to place the Bible on the shelf as one of many books, perhaps filled with dust, but as an instrument that awakens our faith.
The Woman, Her Bible, Her Basement and a Copper Kettle
To begin to embrace the Bible as my messenger of God’s love and His direction and pathway to true happiness and joy
To commit to reading a small passage from the Bible every day and being open to allowing Jesus to reflect His love for others through you. Pick Up the Book Mark: Scripture passage encouragements
Live Connected – Simple Ways to Keep the Message Alive During The Week
Keep a Bible in a visible place in your home Try to memorize this week’s Scripture focus and ask God to inspire you in a new way with the message Take a moment to connect with the daily Scripture readings by going to www.usccb.org Be aware of and intentionally try to bless someone in your everyday life with the message of today’s Scripture focus
“Anguish has taken wing, dispelled is darkness: for there is no gloom where but now there was distress. The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; upon those who dwelt in the land of gloom a light has shone.” (IS 8:23, 9:1)
This Week’s Nugget
The people have seen a great light and that light is Jesus